NCM Wins CJF Digital News Innovation Award - New Canadian Media

NCM Wins CJF Digital News Innovation Award

Home Forums Announcements NCM Wins CJF Digital News Innovation Award

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Rhea Lisondra
      Participant

A message from our publisher in our recent newsletter:

It gives me enormous joy to write this personal note to every member of our Collective. As founder of this great organization, last week’s CJF-Meta Journalism Project Digital News Innovation Award signifies the coming of age of New Canadian Media and the NCM Collective. I know it is opening doors that have been shut in our faces so far.

As Haroon Siddiqui, editor emeritus at the Toronto Star and a member of our Advisory Council, wrote to me following the award: “This win will further put you on the map — and make it that much harder for critics to either dismiss NCM or come after it. As far as I know, NCM is also a model for other western democracies where mainstream media still don’t report well on minorities.”

As you can tell, we are on the cusp of even greater things!

But, an award does not address NCM’s everyday constraints. As I said in my acceptance speech, funding remains a challenge. I was not exaggerating when I said, “I have slept on floors …” Fact is, I barely made it to the awards ceremony itself, given the high ticket prices to the event and the cost of hotel room-nights in Toronto.

That said, I commit to doubling down on our news reporting, continuing to grow our Collective and fostering the journalism that is within all of us. All that NCM asks of you is to trust your instincts and believe in yourselves. I am living proof that no dream is too big.

We are looking to organize a celebration in Toronto, in July, that will be livecast via Facebook to toast our members who make all things possible and launch a membership blitz. The CJF – Meta trophy will be there as well! Why not take a selfie with the trophy? If you have ideas on how we might execute this plan at a reasonable cost or offset some of the dollars, please write to collective@newcanadianmedia.ca

Please be sure to fill in this survey so we can begin planning right away.

This award – our first – is validation enough of your calibre, your journalism and your tenacity. It’s not about me … it’s all about you and your journalism. Let’s keep at it …

– George Abraham

Please fill in the survey here to be part of our celebration: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScqjG96uSJY-QmWs-KrGxjwCis-EmSP41yBpKOMe-ozeJYmiw/viewform

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.