United for diversity in Canadian media.
Join the New Canadian Media Collective and help create a more inclusive Canadian media that reflects the diversity of our country.
What is the New Canadian Media Collective?
The New Canadian Media Collective is a collective of high-calibre journalists who can generate local content from a variety of ethnocultural perspectives. Members of the Collective work in all fields of journalism including print, broadcast and digital media.
How you will benefit from being part of the Collective
- First opportunity to be assigned stories for New Canadian Media. Collective members receive $100 (minimum) for each contribution to NCM’s online content.
- Opportunity to write or produce content for other media platforms that are part of a reciprocal agreement with New Canadian Media.
- Access to no-cost, pre-publication ethics support, dispute resolution services and public editor services through the National NewsMedia Council.
- Online and in-person professional development seminars and events to help you hone your journalism skills and keep up-to-date with issues such as social media ethics, respecting individual privacy and the rights of reporters.
- Networking opportunities to connect with freelance journalists, editors and news outlets across the country.
Who can join?
The Collective is open to all journalists who bring an ethnocultural perspective to their work. You may be an established journalist, a new immigrant breaking into the Canadian media market or just starting your career in journalism. Freelancers, students and institutional journalists are all welcome. Membership is $10 annually.
Why be part of the Collective?
As a Collective, we are stronger and more credible in our calls to address the diversity deficit in Canadian media. Being part of a Collective also helps us to access funding sources to support ethnocultural journalism. We need your support to help build a more diverse and inclusive media industry in Canada.
Join the Collective today and be part of this exciting movement to bring more voices to Canadian media. Please fill out the form below (OR you can send an e-transfer to email@example.com)
(photo credit by Joyeeta Dutta Ray)